CABLE CAR OPEN
7 days a week
09,30 H – 17,15 H
(Except Nov 1st to 31st March 09:30 – 17:15hrs)
COME AND EXPLORE
the Top of the Rock
CABLE CAR OPEN
+ FAST TRACK
Please be advised that this service has temporarily been suspended until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Frontier – Cable Car
Plus Free Fast Track at the Cable Car ticket office when you pre-purchase.
The Cable Car runs continuously throughout the day, approx every 10 min.
N.B. The Cable Car will not stop at the middle station between the months of April to October inclusive.
IMPORTANT NOTICE – FOR YOUR HEALTH & SAFETY
Her Majesty’s Government of Gibraltar was quick to respond to the Covid-19 crises. Thanks to the heroic efforts of the Health Authorities and its citizens, Gibraltar has suffered only a small number of fatalities and there are currently few isolated active cases of Covid-19 on the Rock
Help us keep Gibraltar Covid FREE
Please follow the instructions of staff who are there for your Health & Safety:
Wash your hands regularly.
Use hand sanitisers.
Refrain from touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
Keep a respectful distance from others.
Wear a mask when in an enclosed space or whenever social distancing is difficult.
Sneeze and cough into a tissue or elbow.
Catch it, Bin it, Kill it!
It is in your hands to make a difference. Stop Covid-19!
Please be advised that it is mandatory to wear a mask when travelling on the Cable Car.
Masks are available for purchase at the Cable Car ticket office and at the GibraltarInfo kiosk.
Thank you for your cooperation.
THE HIGHLIGHT TO ANY VISIT TO GIBRALTAR IS A TRIP ON THE CABLE CAR. IN JUST 6 MINUTES YOU REACH THE TOP OF THE ROCK WHERE YOU WILL ENJOY NOT ONLY THE MAGNIFICENT VIEWS BUT ALSO THE COMPANY OF THE FAMOUS BARBARY APES
The Rock itself is an impressive sight but it’s only when seen from on high that you appreciate why so many have wished to conquer this small isthmus and how it has played such an important part in world history. From the terraces of the Top Station you can gaze down over the town below, look North towards Sierra Nevada over the Costa del Sol, look East over the blue Mediterranean Sea and South across the Strait of Gibraltar to the Rif Mountains of North Africa. In short you will view 2 continents, 3 countries and the meeting point of 2 great bodies of water. Impressive is not the word!
Built and completed by a Swiss Cable Car manufacturer, Von Roll, in 1966 the Cable Car is a must for all visitors to the Rock. The Top Station is the best place to meet our most famous residents, the Barbary Apes, not to mention the views and the unique hand-held personal Multimedia Guide all included in the price of your ticket. You can also download, for free, all the info on the Multimedia Tour to your own personal mobile device via the CityGuide App – click here to download the App and learn more about the Cable Car Experience. On purchase of your Cable Car ticket you will be issued a WiFi code from which you can access your preferred app store and download absolutely free!
The Top Station is the perfect location to relax while enjoying the spectacular vistas with a hot or cold drink and a light snack from the Top of the Rock Café or enjoy a more leisurely meal or cocktail at the Mons Calpe Suite Restaurant and Bar. You won’t be disappointed. The Top of the Rock Souvenir Shop is also packed with unique gifts not available in town.
At the Top Station you will:
- Café: Enjoy a bite to eat and drink from the Top of the Rock Café.
- Shop: why not pick up a gift or a souvenir from the Top of the Rock Shop where you will find a unique range of especially designed items with you in mind. Click here to download your Monkey Birth certificate.
- Mons Calpe Suite Restaurant & Bar: Relax and enjoy a delicious meal at the Mons Calpe Suite Restaurant & Bar. This amazing space is also available for private hire and for weddings. Please click here www.monscalpesuite.com.
- Multimedia Tour: A personal Interactive Multimedia Guide allows visitors to gain an insight into Gibraltar’s fascinating history whilst being guided around the Top Station terraces. The commentary is available in seven languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Swedish and Portuguese (only available to adults). You can also download, for free, all the info on the Multimedia Tour to your very own personal mobile device via the CityGuide Gibraltar App – look out for the Cable Car Experience section on the menu and Cable Car info page.
- Facilities: There are rest rooms located within the Cable Car Top Station.
- Access to the Nature Reserve: Visitors have access to the Upper Rock Nature Reserve from the Cable Car top station however a separate entrance ticket is required. Attractions include the SkyWalk, St. Michael’s Cave, Windsor Suspension Bridge, various footpaths within the Upper Rock, the Apes’ Den, O’Hara’s Battery, the Great Siege Tunnels, the 100 Ton Gun (located outside the Nature Reserve) and the Moorish Castle. As from 1st April 2020 the Nature Reserve ticket will also be valid to enter the World War II Tunnels. Nature Reserve tickets are available at the Cable Car ticket office and at the Souvenir Shop. You can also purchase a Nature Reserve Walkers ticket which will give you access to all the footpaths, the Skywalk, the Windsor Suspension Bridge and Ape’s Den only. (NB Walkers ticket only available and valid until 31st March 2020)
The SkyWalk is a short downhill walk from the top station just past Charles V Wall. St Michael’s Cave is located 0.9km downhill from the Cable Car Top Station (approx 15/20 min walk). Visitors can then continue downhill for a further 0.8km to the Cable Car Middle Station or Apes’ Den*. (Approx 15/20 min from St Michael’s Cave). The Windsor Suspension Bridge is located just above the Apes’ Den. *Please note that the Cable Car will not stop at the Middle Station between the months of April to October, inclusive.
- Please be advised that both the 100 Ton Gun and the WWII Tunnel exhibitions are closed until further notice. The Government of Gibraltar apologises for any inconvenience caused.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Cable Car is located just beyond the southernmost end of Main Street right next to the Alameda Botanical Gardens. The GibraltarInfo exclusive and direct shuttle service will take you from the Gibraltar side of the frontier to the Cable Car base station. The shuttle bus can be found on the left side of the road just before the runway. N.B. Please be advised that Shuttle Service has temporarily been suspended until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Cross the road at the first set of traffic lights, keep walking passed the large advertising billboard and you will find the shuttle bus located just beyond that on the left. The shuttle departs every 30 mins however please be warned that traffic in Gibraltar, including the landing and taking off of planes, might cause delays to the service. The GibraltarInfo shuttle buses will have a sign on the front window. If in doubt, please ask for more information at the GibraltarInfo kiosk located on the Spanish side of the frontier and they will be able to offer assistance also see TICKETS for Shuttle Bus schedule.
If you are coming from the land frontier with Spain and have pre-purchased your tickets online or at the Gibraltarinfo kiosk, you are eligible to use the Gibraltarinfo Cable Car shuttle. This is located on the left-hand side of the road just before you cross the runway. Local bus number 10 also stops very near the Cable Car. N.B. Please be advised that the GibraltarInfo Kiosk is closed until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Local transport buses number 10 will all drop you off within sight of the Cable Car base station. Just ask the helpful bus drivers to point you in the right direction. There is stop near the frontier and near the Cruise Liner Terminal.
If you do plan to drive in (you are warned you might find yourself in a lengthy queue to enter and/or exit Gibraltar) and are looking for a car park you might be lucky and find a free space on Grand Parade. Please read the signs carefully as there are zones for local cars, free spaces and paid parking.
- Shuttle Service: Please be advised that this service has temporarily been suspended until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Summer timetable: 09:30hrs to 16:30hrs Last shuttle from the Frontier to the Cable Car at 16:15hrs and from the Cable Car to the Frontier at 16:30hrs 1st April to 31st Oct. Winter timetable: 09:30hrs to 15:30hrs Last shuttle from the Frontier to the Cable Car at 15:15hrs and from the Cable Car to the Frontier at 15;30hrs 1st Nov to 31st March
- Disabled Access: Please be advised that unfortunately the current installation is not suitable for wheelchair users. The Cable Car was built in the 1960s when regrettably they were not mindful of wheelchairs and other accessibility issues. We are pleased to be able to report that a new Cable Car including base and top station is planned which will resolve this and other issues. We look forward to welcoming everyone soon!
- Getting Married: If the purpose of your visit to Gibraltar is to get married, you will find no more spectacular venue than the exclusive Mons Calpe Suite located within the Cable Car Top Station complex. To find out more click here.
- Live Updates: For live updates follow us on Twitter: @Cable CarGib or view the Earth TV camera located at the Top Station
- More to Explore: If you want to experience the Upper Rock on foot the Cable Car is the ideal place to set off from. The ride to the Top Station takes approximately 6 minutes of sheer wonder, with views all the way. From the Top Station you can then walk down into the Nature Reserve however you will need to purchase a separate Nature Reserve ticket depending on what attractions you wish to visit. There are apps available to guide you through the various walks and footpaths.
See Nature Reserve for more information